Jul 24, 2008

Cash in the attic.....

Apparently there is a show on HGTV called Cash in the Attic. It's safe to say that I recently had my very own non-televised experience with this concept. Where are the reality tv cameras and show producers when I need them!

I have often tried to get TPG to follow me around with our handy cam, you know to film random moments and experiences of my day. He's not really on board with that idea just yet!

Back to my story!

While we were having our garage sale this past weekend, TPG and Skinny decided it was a great opportunity to clean out our shed. This shed has acquired our junk since the day we moved into our house and it has never even been cleaned out......some 3 years later. It's a long story but the previous homeowners (now deceased) were quite the woodworkers and collectors of many thing. Mostly junk but there were a lot of neat tools and gadgets dated 4 decades or more. These treasures were left there for us when we became the new home owners. I've always tried to think of the shed as some sort of strange "house warming" gift from "The Old Man" as we often refer to the previous dead owner.

One of the treasures found during the cleaning of the shed was this really old chair. Skinny & Polly thought it may have some value to it but were unsure of what it was worth. It just looked old but still in really great structural shape. So, we put it in the garage sale at $50. Several people looked at the "high priced" item but there wasn't any real interest. We then decided to swap put the $50 price tag and replaced it with a "make offer" tag and still.......no takers.

I decided to do a little research on this particular chair to get a better idea of it's value. Who knows....we could have just been "sitting" on some junk. This is the information I found out after taking just a few pictures and posting them on this website for a free appraisal. Needless to say, I was more then pleased with what they had to say.

Here is my "Old Chair Found in Shed"


Can you believe it's from the 1850's-1860's and valued at nearly $100 in as is condition? It's really neat knowing that I have something so old in my possession that I didn't even know we had. We haven't really decided on what to do with our new treasure. I really think we're leaning towards selling it. We're most likely not going to restore the chair because that's rather expensive & time consuming. I think I would rather offer the chair to someone who would appreciate it's beauty far more then I ever could.

Any suggestion?

No comments: